We are trying to establish a Tactical Medic Program to assist the Officers during their raids, etc. from scratch with very little knowledge. The Tactical Team will be made of 3 medics that went to the part time police officer academy because they will be armed. Two of the personell on the team are full time firefighters/EMT-Is at the local fire dept and the other one is a Reserve Captain/EMT ie. volunteer at the fire dept but does get paid per call. I am hoping all of you brilliant people will be able to assist me in answering some questions? We are based in KANSAS. Thanks in advance!!!
1. Who should finance (Pay) the tactical medics?
2. If the fulltime fire fighter/medic gets hurt during an OP would he be covered by the fire depts insurance or workers comp? is the pd liable?
3. The fire dept is under KP&F retirement and benefit plan and the Police is under KPERS system so who would pay for benefits for the medics? Are they Eligible to receive benefits?
4. Should there be MOUs in place to help with what agency pays and supplies what to the medics?
5. Who takes care of the policies/procedures/medical protocals?
6. What medical Items could they carry into the field?
7. Should the Medics be on the Entry or a R.I.T. team?
8. Does anyone know of any Grants out there that would pay for the Medics to get trained in Field Medicine or in the tactical Enviroment?
9. Does any agency have an established set of protocals that they are currently using that they would be willing to share? Please send any responses back to email@example.com
10. If there is something that I have not thought about, please feel free to add to your response.
Paul, I just searched tactical medicine and found your comment.
I've recently become a board member and secretary of the Coalition for Tactical Medicine (CTM). I'm also chairing the committee that will look at program review and scholarships. We'll be providing info on all the different programs.
Right now we're looking at minimal level of competencies for programs. I'd love to get some boots on the ground opinions on that. Let me know what you think. http://www.coalitiontacticalmedicine.org
Paul Garcia said:
So William, how is it going now that you have had some time for things to settle out?