I'm currently applying to PA programs in NY and NJ. I'm considering working as an EMT first. I've heard about these EMT boot camps. Any good? I've been working as a personal trainer for 10 years. and I'm volunteering at a hospital. Is EMT necessary?

Views: 235

Replies to This Discussion

EMT certification (or Paramedic certification for that matter) is not necessary. What is necessary is solid documented clinical experience in any setting. This is necessary to make you more competitive. Most schools require clinical hours anyway, makes for less work while in PA school. You will have plenty of "clinical" time in PA school, but the wise applicant comes with experience already. Hope this is helpful.
Hello,

EMT is not necessary, but it is very helpful. The main point is patient care experience. And I think EMT is a great way to get it. EMT bootcamps are not my favorite thing unless you already have good medical knowledge foundation, but the main thing is what you do with it after you get certified. Its the patient care that is important and where you learn the most. Most PA programs require at least 1-2000 hours of direct patient care experience, and wont consider your application unless you have at least near that amount. Good Luck!
Tom

RSS

Follow JEMS