Hey guys and gals,

Was wondering if anyone here had any experience using the XCollar? Every place I have ever worked for has been strictly Ccollar. However, with the studies coming out showing concern of cspine separation and possibility of internal decapitation, my company has decided to switch over to the XCollar. As I understand, it is supposed to be superior in form and function over the CCollar. Was just wondering if anybody with experience in actually using them first hand could shed a little light.

Thanks

Views: 510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We've been playing with our collar model for a few months for a number of reasons tends to go cost, infection control, ease of use. We're on to the Patriot collar at the moment http://www.allegromedical.com/children-pediatric-c531/philly-patrio... which seems to do well, but they recently changed their colour coding, used to be that adult and child were separate collars but now both the same which is a bit of a bugger.

This xcollar thing looked interesting, until i started to watch the training video. I haven't used them, but it seems there's too many moving parts that may well break under stress. I guess the design is trying to emulate the KED but watching the videos the final position of the patient looks a bit off to me???

Well, I haven't used one either. It looks like a good idea, but I'm not exactly running to the phone to order one just yet.

I can see the advantage to this device over the standard collar we use now. There are more parts, meaning that there are more ways to secure the patient in. There are lots of straps, so it is able to detail the forces used exactly where they are needed (Rather than just "Around the neck").

However, I see some potential pitfalls. First, there are a lot of moving parts. As Mr. White just pointed out, more parts means more chance for something to go wrong/break. It also means it is more complicated to apply. To be honest, a LOT of the people I work with can barely put on a normal collar well. Makes you wonder what these type of people are going to do with all these new bells and whistles. I argue that our current collars work well, there are just so few people that know how to use them properly that poor results prevail.

Basically, I'm all for any advancement in what we do. New products are worth a try, but a good medic should always stick with what works for the patient and not what is cheapist, easiest, or least risky (in the liability aspect)

Good luck with your news toys. I'd love to get an update when you have had a chance to use them for a while.
LOL. Thanks for the opinions. I'll definitely keep them in mind when training on it. Guess I'll post back in a few weeks to give y'all the skinny.
So about to get into my xcollar training and thought I'd bump the topic. Well, not just bump it. Here is a link to the training page. Anyone who is interested, please take a few minutes to watch the main page video and let me know what you think. http://www.xcollartraining.com/

Thanks.
C-Collars are another of those device that any "Joe" can design, manufacture and market. They fit right in with all the different types of long spine boards and bean bag chairs...Peace, man.

Another true evidence based study crying for attention. Ahh, to be old and still dreaming of true reasons for why we do the things we do and the equipment we throw on patients.
Major problem I found was airway compromise. When applied correctly, the mouth is clamped shut. Vomiting in the conscious patient (not to mention the unconscious patient) is a real issue. Doesn't matter how good it is at immobilisation, this is a major life threatening flaw in the design.
We got a sample one about a year ago. Found it to be superior in controlling cspine movement, BUT it was very uncomfortable (I was the "model") and took a long time to size and fit properly. Like Anthony, I experienced virtually no ability to move my jaw to speak. Can't imagine even putting this on an unconscious patient for fear of aspiration and no opportunity to suction.
I will stick with the Laredal Stifneck Select.
We have been using them for about a year now, like any other piece of equipment they have their pros and cons and you just have to see how it tips the scale. I agree somewhat that it does keep the mouth a little bit more tightly closed than the c-collar but as far as endangering the airway I dont know if I would agree with that. I have worn one several times and if applied correctly they are not less comfortable than the stiffneck. The ability to immoblize someone in the postion of comfort is great. The biggest downfall I see is they do take a bit longer to put on and at times can be a bit cumbersome to apply mostly in the winter months when people have multiple layers of clothes to work around. The cost has gottten to be a bit more competative with the stiffnecks. My overall issue with the stiffnecks is when you really stop and think about it they really dont accomplish much of anything.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS