What was your first job after getting your EMT, ALS, Paramedic certification/license?

I am an EMT-B student who will be graduating December 15th. I would LOVE to work at the fire department once i'm certified. I am just curious how other people have started out their EMS careers.

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Military ambulance (Navy), then

Private ambulance, then

Hospital-operated EMS system for a city, then

Fire-based EMS system, then

Hospital-operated EMS system, then

County government EMS system.

That took 38 years!  Good luck -- enjoy!

Right after getting my EMT I worked as a nursing assistant at a nursing home for 2 years, there were no open EMT positions in the service my dad worked for (the only place I had really wanted to work). I contemplated nursing vs. medic school, then a position opened up, I took it and that decided for me, medic school. I stayed with that service (hospital based) for 10 years, somewhere in that time I got licensed as an RT and worked in the same hospital in respiratory, still working EMS too. Getting bored again I applied to PA school and went to work closer to school at a private not for profit service. Though my dad was a medic/ff, I was never interested in the fire service, medice is more my "bag."

First Job was 

ARMY 

565 Ground Ambulance Co, 

1/506 Infantry

Acute Care Grafenwoehr Germany

6th Ranger Training Bn

Department Of Combat Medic Training/Private Ambulance In San Antonio 

After EMT-B and EMT-I, I worked as a dispatcher for a private air-medical service.

After paramedic, my first (and current) job was for a county government, non-fire based EMS service.

WOW!! That is awesome. Thanks, it's nice to see there are so many options in EMS.

Skip Kirkwood said:

Military ambulance (Navy), then

Private ambulance, then

Hospital-operated EMS system for a city, then

Fire-based EMS system, then

Hospital-operated EMS system, then

County government EMS system.

That took 38 years!  Good luck -- enjoy!

Memphis, TN? Are you still working in Memphis?

Chance Gearheart said:

My first job was volunteer. No one would hire an 18 year old EMT-IV. I ended up working in Memphis on a 911 truck for the next two years.

Army (02-11)

Boy Scouts (05)

Private Ambulance (05-current)

I work with a lot of guys who are EMT's and some Paramedics who had "fire" in their eyes when they started at "Private Ambulance".  Most of them still work here and volunteer or are part time with a department somewhere in hopes of getting a full-time offer.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS