What States Allow BLS Providers to Acquire & Transmit a 12-lead ECG?

All,

I am interested to know which State's Scope of Practice currently allow EMT-Basics to acquire and transmit 12-lead ECGs.

***To be clear, this is not about EMT-Basics INTERPRETING 12-lead ECGs but simply the act of acquiring and transmitting them.***

Thank you, in advance, for your participation.

Jpc

Views: 941

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Colorado allows all levels of EMS providers to apply EKG leads and transit data.  I was actually surprised to find this specifically addressed in our state rules.

In my system I am not aware of anyone who actually transmits their EKG data.  Our hospitals are very good about trusting Paramedics to make the call on our cardiac alerts.

It would be hard to imagine a state not allowing this.  Application of leads and transmission of data is about as non-invasive as you can get.  That does not mean I would be surprised.  Anytime government makes regulations there is a high probability of rampant stupidity.

Thank you Timothy.

SD EMS received a grant from the Helmsley Foundation to fully implement the AHA Mission:Lifeline program, so not only are EMTs permitted, all ambulance services licensed in the state (BLS and ALS) receive 12 lead capable monitor/defibrillators as well as modems to transmit, all hospitals are being equipped to receive the 12 leads, and all providers are receiving training on the application of electrodes, aquiring and transmitting of the 12 lead. Obviously, the paramedics already had been doing 12 leads, but this will allow our EMT's and Advanced EMT's to get the process started sooner. Also, 2 conferences a year for 3 years have been funded through the grant as well

Thank you Warren. 

Warren E. Shaulis said:

SD EMS received a grant from the Helmsley Foundation to fully implement the AHA Mission:Lifeline program, so not only are EMTs permitted, all ambulance services licensed in the state (BLS and ALS) receive 12 lead capable monitor/defibrillators as well as modems to transmit, all hospitals are being equipped to receive the 12 leads, and all providers are receiving training on the application of electrodes, aquiring and transmitting of the 12 lead. Obviously, the paramedics already had been doing 12 leads, but this will allow our EMT's and Advanced EMT's to get the process started sooner. Also, 2 conferences a year for 3 years have been funded through the grant as well

Wisconsin allows EMTs to acquire and transmit 12-leads as an optional skill for the level.

Thank you Devin.

Devin Nemec said:

Wisconsin allows EMTs to acquire and transmit 12-leads as an optional skill for the level.

VIRGINIA allows this for EMT-B's.  Here's the link to the website for the state that contains the Scope of Practice document as it exists today in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  I hope it helps in your research!

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Files_page/Training/ScopeOfPractic...

Missouri Allows EMT-B's to acquire and transmit 12-lead ECG's. 

Jon,

I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV, but I suspect it may be the other way around. Since this is not a treatment or an interpretation affecting treatment, a state may not have to address it. Therefore, there might not be any restriction on it unless state policy is issued to the contrary.

For example, a state might not have explicitly stated that EMTs can or cannot take photos of an injury to send to the hospital. The photo is not a treatment and it is not affecting the EMTs treatment. It is solely for the use of the hospital in preparing for the patient. So, take photos of the injury and send them to the hospital if the hospitals find it helpful. If later on, the state issues pertinent policy against it, then so be it.

It looks from the comments posted so far that some states have made policy on the BLS 12 lead issue - perhaps to make it clear that it is indeed OK. If I were a BLS service administrator or medical director, it certainly would due nice to have an explicit policy statement on that before I made a 12 lead equipment purchase. On the basis of my original statement, I would very surprised if a state made policy AGAINST 12 lead acquisition / transmission by a BLS unit. But, you never know....

--- Mic

Mic Gunderson

President, IPS

Lakeland, FL

Jon

in our county in the UK all levels of EMS staff can obtain an 12 lead ECG and transmitt to the local ED, providing the receiving unit is switched on! the local hospitials are very good at trusting our judgement as regards any elevation and possible MI.

regards

John Shrek Middleton

UK

Thank you Melissa. 

Melissa Doak said:

VIRGINIA allows this for EMT-B's.  Here's the link to the website for the state that contains the Scope of Practice document as it exists today in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  I hope it helps in your research!

http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/OEMS/Files_page/Training/ScopeOfPractic...

Thank you John.

john middleton said:

Jon

in our county in the UK all levels of EMS staff can obtain an 12 lead ECG and transmitt to the local ED, providing the receiving unit is switched on! the local hospitials are very good at trusting our judgement as regards any elevation and possible MI.

regards

John Shrek Middleton

UK

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS