I am pitching an idea for the type 1 ambulance.  The module make is decided, the difficultly lies with which chassis.  Ford or Dodge.  I've heard about the engine issues regarding the 6.7L turbo diesel, but no other negative input.  I have not heard much about the Dodge, but I do see a strong showing of Dodges.  I've heard one or two instances on cracks in the frames.  I'm just looking for any input on this.  Thanks. 

Views: 902

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i have never driven the dodge but we have two f- 450's with the large boxes. these trucks turn great and run like a dream. a/c works great here in the south.

We run both trucks.  Our newest rigs are Dodge 4500 and Chevy van cab with box.  We provide 911 service for city of Atlanta which has narrow and rough streets.  Personally I prefer the van chassis for comfort. 

The Dodge seems to be more durable though the turning radius is pretty bad.  Are you a SSM service?  If so spend the extra money and get the tinted windows and heavy duty AC. (the ones with the Blowers mounted above the cab on the box) Also dont pass on the air ride because these things are ROUGH in the back.  The Fords like to "clean the exhaust filter"   ALLL the time which smells terrible.   Id go with the Dodge if you are most concerned about overall durability and longevity.

Thanks to both of ya for the replies.  The services I work for, my primary is a career inner city FD EMS in Indy, the other, part-time, is a very rural non profit agency.  Durability/longevity is a must for obvious reasons.  I've heard and seen a lot about the heavy duty AC units, especially in this high humidity/dry Indiana heat, it would be nice.  I didn't think of the tinted windows and the air ride I feel is a no brainer, atleast to me.  My believe, if your going to do it, do it right.  I like Ford, I own a F-150, I haven't heard many complaints about them.  For the Dodge, your the first that I've heard having Dodge.  They seem to be roomy and can't go wrong with the Cummins diesel, and I've stated the rumors with the 6.7L, and the odor is a new one on me.  Lifeline mounts on both, so that's won't be an issue.  It looks you run wheeled coach at Grady?  Anything else you can think of please let me know. 

To Nathan, off the subject:  How's your protocols in Atlanta? 

Protocols are much more limited than the last EMS area I worked (Tennessee)  But they are not strict protocols.  They are guidelines so thats super nice.  They have a part at the front that says "These are guidelines not to replace good clinical judgment".  You can disregard them if you have a good reason.  The problem is that there are less toys meds and other stuff.

The odor issue is with the Fords.   Tinted windows make a HUGE difference.  Also if you get the window flair fringe thingy you can have your windows open a crack when your posting street corner watching it rain and not get wet.  If anything the Dodges have TOO MUCH power...

Personally, I prefer the sprinters, unbeatable turning radius and visibility, amazing head room, smoother ride, big open area between the box and the cab.  They arent holding up well though.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS