Simple question and simple answer: Seeing if the trend is still the same............

Do you prefer TRAUMA calls or MEDICAL calls?

Views: 59

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The first manifestation of heart disease is STEMI (or sudden death) for a lot of patients. We're seeing them in their late 30s! That's a lot of good life left to live!
Trauma calls are exciting, but you patch up the holes, make a couple of new ones, and boogie; medical calls require critical thinking, so they are more of a challenge.
I have to admit my choices are different than most. My choice is for minor trauma over major trauma and major medical over minor medical.
Tom, you don't work Medic 5 much, do you? :-)

Tom Bouthillet said:
The first manifestation of heart disease is STEMI (or sudden death) for a lot of patients. We're seeing them in their late 30s! That's a lot of good life left to live!
I'm a trauma guy. It is where I can make the biggest difference, and utilize the majority of my skills. Plus I'm a junkie...
Tracy, excellent thread I discuss this with my students all the time. Although trauma is a " glory " call anyone can be proficient immobilize, oxygen, maintain airway, lung sounds and a blood pressure and transport to a trauma surgeon.

For a medical call you have to " diagnose " the complaint and then treat the illness appropriately, and transport to the hospital that will provide the patient with the best service ( not all of our receiving hospitals are stroke centers or have cath labs ).
Either / Or - to be honest, I enjoy the challenges involved in both.

Know if you had asked Psych or Social, that would be a different kettle of fish ...!
I understand the challenge of medical calls for the medics in the crowd. You have a multitude of diagnostic toys to play with, and a much wider variety of treatment modalities than a BLS provider who has but O2, ASA, EpiPen, Nitro, AED, reassurance and transport.

I find we in the BLS world get to stretch more when dealing with trauma if it's other than our typical OPFDGB "old-person-fall-down-go-boom" call, or a just plug the leak, scoop and run call like they do in the "big city". Outside of the city there is a multitude of messes people get themselves into that all present their own special challenges. How are we going to gain access, package and prep for transport, disentangle, etc? And for each phase of the call there are different tricks and tools to be used.

So I come down firmly in the Trauma Junkie camp.

If we get a medical I do the ABC's, assess, make the patient comfortable and make sure they already called the guys with the drug boxes. Dave C.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS