I am interested in feed back from medics regarding PTSD. There was a post awhile back but I am not sure if this particular medic's inquiries, specific to starting a study to find out more on how this condition affects paramedics was initiated.

Thank you. 

Views: 476

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Overall PTSD in EMS is ignored.  The PTSD victim is ignored.  There are probably dozens or maybe hundreds of programs for soldiers, but I have yet to see any for Paramedics on private ambulance companies.  Even when they got it 10 or more years ago there are no programs to help them after the workers comp part is done.  Don't let anyone tell you that you are cured if you get it.  Nobody gets cured.
We all eventually "get it" "Have it" & eventually if able to get UP & OUT...with branch off industry or LEAVE Completely........Sorry!!!!!! Thats my "REAL"

I disagree with your first two sentences. Every system I've worked in had well-defined mechanisms for addressing PTSD. I don't think any of them were particularly effective, but I feel that's more of an issue with CISM than with my employers.

Sounds like you might have had a particularly bad experience. Do you want to provide more details?

Kenny Knight said:

Overall PTSD in EMS is ignored.  The PTSD victim is ignored.  There are probably dozens or maybe hundreds of programs for soldiers, but I have yet to see any for Paramedics on private ambulance companies.  Even when they got it 10 or more years ago there are no programs to help them after the workers comp part is done.  Don't let anyone tell you that you are cured if you get it.  Nobody gets cured.

Hello:

Maybe it is time that we get the taboo into the light. Evidence based research is a good approach. We can do a survey, confidential with consent, and work to educate the EMS Chiefs to enact new policies to assist courageous paramedics lead normal lives. Need help if you can suggest some thoughts.

Mike Rubin said:

I disagree with your first two sentences. Every system I've worked in had well-defined mechanisms for addressing PTSD. I don't think any of them were particularly effective, but I feel that's more of an issue with CISM than with my employers.

Sounds like you might have had a particularly bad experience. Do you want to provide more details?

Kenny Knight said:

Suggest you start by googling Bryan Bledsoe PTSD.

Peter Morgan said:

Hello:

Maybe it is time that we get the taboo into the light. Evidence based research is a good approach. We can do a survey, confidential with consent, and work to educate the EMS Chiefs to enact new policies to assist courageous paramedics lead normal lives. Need help if you can suggest some thoughts.

Mike:

I would like to enact some kind of group that would help gather resource material to research on our area of expertise so that we can work to create a program that services can teach or model to. If you have an area contacts for research starts I would look into them. Thanks.

Mike Rubin said:
Not such a good place to start research on PTSD; most of his work in the psychological vein is criticism of CISD.

I AM GETTING ROAD BLOCKS, I THINK THAT THIS IS A REAL ISSUE AND THAT A LARGE SCALE STUDY AND RESEARCH PROJECT CAN BE UNDERTAKEN IF "WE" WILL COME FORTH AND ASSIST OR PROVIDE GUIDANCE.

MAKING SILLY COMMENTS ABOUT 'WE ALL HAVE IT, SO SUCK IT UP" DOESNT MAKE IT BETTER OR GO AWAY. I AM LOOKING TO THE YOUNGER MEDICS AND MAYBE WITH A REPORT IN HAND, CORRELATED AND DETAILED, IT CAN BE BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF THE EMS CHIEFS AS WELL AS REGIONS AND MUNICIPALITIES TO ENACT A SAFER WORK ENVIRONMENT.

I BELIEVE THAT UNIONS WILL ENDORSE THIS TYPE OF RESEARCH IF WE CAN FINALLY BRING THIS OUT OF THE CLOSET.

I ASK ALL OF YOU WHO LOOK AT THIS POST TO REALLY TAKE THE TIME TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER WHAT A POSITIVE IMPACT WE CAN MAKE FOR OUR PROFESSION.

THANK YOU.

PETER.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS ONTO BLOG SITES AND GO VIRAL IF YOU KNOW THAT THIS HAS MERIT.

I think the CISD research Bryan quotes to support his POV is worth considering when tackling PTSD.

dr-exmedic said:

Mike Rubin said:
Not such a good place to start research on PTSD; most of his work in the psychological vein is criticism of CISD.

Peter, I'm unclear on the scope of your interests. What, exactly, would you like to research? Do you have any hypotheses, any proposals? What sort of "road blocks" are you facing? Are you concerned primarily with how PTSD is handled within your agency? Even if you're interested in making industry-wide changes, try starting small -- perhaps with an essay that describes specific issues and proposed solutions. You might even get it published. Once you organize your thoughts and back them up with evidence, there's a chance you could convince local management to pilot a program that addresses at least some of your concerns. If you make something work locally, you'll gain legitimacy, and have a better chance of attracting attention. 

Here at Muskogee County EMS we have developed our own peer support program. It is made up of medics with training in Field Traumatology and Psychological First Aid. We provide information on Compassion Fatigue, stress, burn-out and secondary trauma. It has been a very successful program for the past 5 years. Our goal is to educate and intervene before PTSD. Contact me at www.mikem@mcems.us if you want more info

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS