Have you ever taken photos on scene? Did you share them with anyone outside your agency?

Views: 450

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We have been taking scene photos of mechanism of injury since 1992 in Brighton (UK). 3 photos applicable to patient vehicle. Long shot, close up of impact area and compartment (for intrusion).

Unfortunately soem EMT/Paras in the UK started abusing this resource which until recently was tolerated by the police. Some started takign photos on their phones and showing them around and some people took photos of injuries where there was no clincial need.

As a result both Police and Ambulance Services in the UK are now discouraging this policy. Shame it works well.

Mike (Cornwall, UK)

It is frowned on for the same reasons . however to be honest i snap a photo or 2 when the MOI seems much worse then the pt condition. i always get a good laugh watching the dr amd nirses change thier posture when they see a photo. 

James Ownbey said:

i always get a good laugh watching the dr amd nirses change thier posture when they see a photo. 
Nurses get a good laugh also watching Paramedics change their posture when coming across some of the photos of wounds we take in the hospital. Few stick around to see the actual wounds we are required to document.

Other than that, no photography and that includes families or visitors in the hospital. In LTC, a resident must sign a release for social photography. Wounds or medical documentation is considered different but the resident (or DPOA) also signs a form acknowledging photos are being taken to be placed with their chart.

I thought I would comment on this since we have had to remind EMS providers of the hospital's photograph policy many times in the ED especially during a trauma or code. Some have tried to tell us it was for educational purposes but we have yet to see documentation from their employers to back that up.

Photography while on duty is strictly prohibited, except by a designated department photographer.

To be honest, a top trauma consultant told me that scene photographs do not bare any real use in the immediate treatment of the patient. All the provider does is get his nice clean and spanky smart phone contaminated trying to take the photo's then show them at the hospital....

If we were going to do this properly, all providers are taught to park the vehicle in the fend off position, mount a camera on the outside of the vehicle that automatically snaps pictures as needed....which could then be sent along with the pre arrival vital signs ect....Yet we never invest in EMS tech, we try to do it as cheaply as possible. 

I've taken a couple pics of interesting wounds & rashes (with signed pt permission) and incorporated them into lectures. The last time I took a picture from a scene, though, it would have been tough to share since it was on 35mm film (which tells you how long ago that was)....

That said, I don't care what the car looks like. Treat the patient, not the mechanism.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS