On Friday, a paramedic was punched in the face during a medical call. Police reported that the patient was probably having a panic attack.

How many times have you been accidentally (or deliberately) injured by a patient on a "routine" EMS call?

Views: 1431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?tab=4&uuid=ee9fc453-35f4-...

Try this link for some video (he hopes)

Gaz Black said:

No video here - I think it's for subscribers only. But the printed story says nothing about any interaction prior to the assault. I'd sure like to know more about this case.

Thanks for posting.

The Cannulator said:

Australian Magistrate Dismisses Assault Charge

Have look at this video. The judiciary can't even support Paramedics in Sydney Australia

Here, the charges of calling police officers or others unflattering names wouldn't have ever been leveled; it's not a crime to have or voice an opinion (add the name calling to physical violence, and it may come across as a "hate crime"). On the other hand, charges for shooting at cops would not likely have been dropped, though there isn't a lot of information on those charges either.

Sounds like, from the news report, the first mention of racism came from O'Shane herself. That's ridiculous. I hope the appeal goes well. Sounds like a judge who doesn't like the system she's a sworn member of, but again, there's not a lot of information in the story.

Thanks for posting, and for getting the link to the video for me.

The Cannulator said:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/video.aspx?tab=4&uuid=ee9fc453-35f4-...

Try this link for some video (he hopes)

Gaz Black said:

No video here - I think it's for subscribers only. But the printed story says nothing about any interaction prior to the assault. I'd sure like to know more about this case.

Thanks for posting.

The Cannulator said:

Australian Magistrate Dismisses Assault Charge

Have look at this video. The judiciary can't even support Paramedics in Sydney Australia

How about "get the heck out of there without the patient" until (a) the patient chills out, or (b) the law comes to help?

Kenneth Haught said:

I'm not sure what other states protocols are, but to even apply restraints "legally" in MD you have to receive online orders via medical consultation...which isn't much help while you're getting pummeled. Basic self defense courses are generally available though for those that want to take them. That's not too say you can't "Secure the patient's upper extremities to facilitate extrication from the residence." (Or however you phrase it in your reports, and which this docs usually can read through very well).
Sometimes doing nothing is more than doing something. I've seen situations where providers; not limited to EMS, escalate an already tense situation. There isn't any training in EMS programs which goes over de-escalating a situation. We need to know when our "Spidey" senses tingles; we need to acknowledge it. Being abrasive, rude, belligerent, degrading, etc. on the provider's part, doesn't help. We can be defensive but some people do not know how to behave properly when things are not gong their way.

Yup. From the way that situation reads, there's no need for EMS to be involved with that patient until after the scene has been secured by the people whose job it is to do that.

Skip Kirkwood said:

How about "get the heck out of there without the patient" until (a) the patient chills out, or (b) the law comes to help?

Kenneth Haught said:

I'm not sure what other states protocols are, but to even apply restraints "legally" in MD you have to receive online orders via medical consultation...which isn't much help while you're getting pummeled. Basic self defense courses are generally available though for those that want to take them. That's not too say you can't "Secure the patient's upper extremities to facilitate extrication from the residence." (Or however you phrase it in your reports, and which this docs usually can read through very well).

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS