I have a sorta unofficial survey. What college degree, level and subject, and certifications does your Infection Control Officer have? Please don't recite the NFPA, IAFF, IAFC, OSHA, or MOUSE recommendations/requirements. Just looking for what's happening around the industry.

Views: 704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This falls into this category.

Just this week at my house we had a needle stick incident. BUMMER:( Anyhow, through my investigation it appears that the safety device on the "safety" needle had failed and became dislodged. I did a small random test of the catheters we had and found 75% were easily dislodged from the safety mechanism after proper activation.

My question is, I am looking where I can find information of other reported failures of devices. I tried EMSclosecalls.com, but could not find anything pertinent. Any idea where I can find this info if anywhere? I also checked the FDA website, but could find nothing specifically on IV catheter failures. Yes. I did contact the manufacturer with my findings and am awaiting there response.
Our Infection Control Officer (who has a MPH in Communicable Diseases and is a PhD candidate in Communicable Diseases, she's also my assistant) is assisting with a large research study in association with our area's VA hospital on all the different brands of "safe" IV catheters. This project includes retraction failures and blood splatter from the spring-loaded retraction device.

THe study is in the data collection phase. Sorry, but she could not find any real studies on failures.
Thanks for the response. I would be very interested in seeing the study when it is finalized.

On the plus side. I have received multiple emails from the manufacturer and they are very interested in investigating this with me. I think in part because I made the recommendation of replacing the product that failed.

Duncan Hitchcock said:
Our Infection Control Officer (who has a MPH in Communicable Diseases and is a PhD candidate in Communicable Diseases, she's also my assistant) is assisting with a large research study in association with our area's VA hospital on all the different brands of "safe" IV catheters. This project includes retraction failures and blood splatter from the spring-loaded retraction device.

THe study is in the data collection phase. Sorry, but she could not find any real studies on failures.
I am the IC Officer for a small rural ambulance service in a mountainous area of Idaho. I hold a PhD in Public Health with a specialization in Epidemiology of Infectious Diseases. While I think this is a rare background in the EMS field, it has provided me with the knowledge and credentials needed to work well with our medical director, the IC staff at the medical centers we transport to, as well as the ED staff and attendings. This is certainly not a requirement, but it has been a benefit to us!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS