Fix dilated Eye no pulse no breathing pt... what would you do?

in this situation fix dilated pupil is it an obvious sign of death? in cases like this would you dare to initiate life saving procedure??? even if dilated eyes have been observed?? what if the patient has also an eye problem??? its just a sign of another complication? it may be a medical or trauma case...

Views: 2375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ideal situation for an unsalvageable cardiac arrest patient who lacks the classic obvious signs of death with no penetrating trauma or other special circumstances:

Begin resuscitation. If no response to several rounds of CPR and drugs, withdraw resuscitation efforts, complete paperwork/contacting other agencies (coroner or police), clear from scene with no transport.
Too little information to make a an appropriate decision.
what do yuo mean sir????
Fixed, dilated pupils is not considered a sufficient sign of obvious death in either NY or TN.
Geez Helen Keller would be In strife if pupils were the only measure of death. Besides, I get fixed glazed and dilated when the boss talks about response times!

Mike Rubin said:
Fixed, dilated pupils is not considered a sufficient sign of obvious death in either NY or TN.
At my job, "fixed, glazed and dilated" is a sign of obvious cut-backs :-)

TheCannulator said:
Geez Helen Keller would be In strife if pupils were the only measure of death. Besides, I get fixed glazed and dilated when the boss talks about response times!

Mike Rubin said:
I'm with Duncan...there's not enough information to make an informed decision.

Standards for resuscitation/no resuscitation include obvious signs of death (injuries incompatible with life such as decapitation, hemicorporectomy, decomposed body, decerebration...) or the old standby of pulseless, apneic, and asystole in two or more EKG leads. Another is the presence of a legal Do No Resuscitate advance directive and a pulseless, apneic patient.

Fixed, dilated pupils are a sign that's worth documentation, but I wouldn't make a decision on starting resuscitation or not based on that single sign.
Is it just one pupil ? Both ? Are they speaking to you ? We would initate life saving procedures....I'm a medic so I would put my hand on their forehead and say "arise and walk my son" then walk away as the trumpets play and rose petals fall to my feet.
Mike Rubin said:

More important question, is fixed and dilated pupils considered an obvious sign of death anywhere?

I know it isn't in at least one county in California (protocols/system design = county) or in Massachusetts.
Ben Waller said:
hemicorporectomy
That's a word that I don't think I've ever seen before...but it is beautiful. :)
It's in Tabers...I think it was in the 12th or 13th edition. Dunno if it's in the newer ones. It's in our protocols, along with the rest of the list of "injuries incompatible with life" as our medical director and protocol committee define them.
Both pupil sir

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS