I am an EMT-B in SWMO. The service I work at runs around 2000 call a year. Basics get paid $8.00 an hour and time-and-half after 80 hours of work in one week. Just out of curiosity, what do you Basics out there make? Am I just in a pit? This may be to personal to ask but I would like to know. I am getting married next year and really need to make more than this amount and just wondering what others make.

Tags: EMT-B, Pay, Salery

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well if we cant appeal to people based on the money or the hours, we have to have something to rope 'em in!..... :) Just playing the devils advocate.

Maybe thats another reason for high turnover? People get into the job and a few years later realize, its just not the constant rush they thought it was.
Thanks Skip. I really needed to be reminded about the infamous Roll With It advertisement like I need another hole in my head. :/

[/sarcasm]
oregon is about the same it is per hour per call though
Interesting that someone (one of the first replys) mentioned Southern CA... I started EMS as an EMT-B in San Diego and my starting pay was exactly "Minimum wage" and not a penny more. That company also had ZERO raises, ever, if you choose to stay (why on earth would you) for 10 years, you still made minimum wage. Little or no benifits even for full time, (and don't forget, I'm talking about San Diego with one of the highest cost of living in the US). Now I gradually raised to "better" companies where I made around 8-9 an hour (as an FTO/FTI) with benifits. Most also did the 24 hour shift thing where you got deducted 3 hours for 3 meals even though you never actually got a specified meal time (it was just assumed you had eaten sometime during your shift) and if you got 5 hours sleep in a roll after 10pm (i think that was it) then they deducted 4-5 hours to boot... and yes, they got away with it.
Of course, in that system, you were required to be an EMT-B to apply to Paramedic school, plus anyone who wanted to be a Firefighter knew they had better be a Paramedic if they wanted to compete for the job, so basicly the EMS companies KNEW they had you and could pay whatever they wanted...
As a Pennsylvania citizen and EMS provider, allow me to apologize on behalf of my state for the most pathetic, embarrassing, and potentially damaging EMS recruitment tactic ever produced.

Joe P. said:
Thanks Skip. I really needed to be reminded about the infamous Roll With It advertisement like I need another hole in my head. :/

[/sarcasm]
Can anyone help me find the Emergency! episode where Roy and Johny go to a nursing home? I've been trying to find it. And once, just once, I'd like to pull my gear up to a remote location with a rope. Maybe I'll toss one out of the window of a nursing home, just for S&G's.

Seriously though, I read a book about the coroner in Pittsburg. After CSI came out, schools got flooded with people wanting to do that. In the real world, CSI workers aren't that good looking and don't interrogate people. Now we have Trauma coming this fall on NBC, someone please let me know how often those medics go to nursing homes.
OMG! I just watched the Roll With It ad. Who approved it? It's awful!
Basics in Saskatcewan start at $21.41/hr and time and a half after 8 hours a day plus on call pay for 24 hour n call type services.
blair4630 said:
As a Pennsylvania citizen and EMS provider, allow me to apologize on behalf of my state for the most pathetic, embarrassing, and potentially damaging EMS recruitment tactic ever produced.
Allow me to add an apology for every single healthcare recruitment tactic ever produced in our state. FWIW, it isn't just EMS in PA that has utter crap trying to drag people in. :)
I know of transport "convelesent" agencies here in N.C., that pay $15.00 per hour with O.T. after 40 hours. EMT-B's that work for my service start around 25K yearly not including OT which is paid after 40 hours and they get excellent benefits.
I work at a private company in CT as an EMT making 19.57 (will be finalizing a new contract soon) an hour, 2 1/2 times on holidays. As far as benefits for PT, free uniforms, see poverty first hand, closely interact with some of the city's "finest" citizens and an on the job exercise program (read stairchairing 200++ lb pt's up and down stairs and repeatedly lifting the stretcher with them on it). Yet, we still do it! :)

But after reading this, I will not be complaining about how much I get paid!
Southern New Jersey.. Gloucester County EMS pays on average about $18.00/hr. Cherry Hill Fire Department about ! dollar more. Other than that the average in smaller towns and communities is anywhere from $12-$16/hr. Yes it is more than where you might live but the cost of living is much higher too. Like someone else posted...its for the love of the job not the pay. Average home around most parts here cost about $180,000.00-$225,000.00 and property taxes are about $4000.00-$6000.00/year.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS