A number of articles have appeared regarding the use of driving simulators as a part of training for ambulance drivers (yes, I know that's an "ugly" phrase, but it's what we are 50% of the time!).  Is anyone out there aware of any studies that do or do not show improvement in drivers who receive either initial or continuing training using these devices? We're often attracted to strategies because they seem to make sense, but is there any science out there that confirms our intuition? ( One jurisdiction I know of purchased a rather expensive system, only to find out that nearly half their personnel became nauseous from the simulated motion and had to stop).

Views: 155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a chance to drive a $250,000 simulator this week.  It was a great exercise.

What I think we found is that you get nauseous when you sit in the room and watch others drive, more than while driving yourself.

The driving, and the tests (left-right decisions, etc.) were excellent.  I hope that there is some research out there to validate the concept.  One of our guys is a Sergeant First Class medic in the Army, tells me that the Army is using realistic simulators for everything from HMMWVs to MRAPS, to M1 tanks, with great success.

Where is everyone on this topic?

Thanks, Skip.  Yes, I hope some others will chime in on this as well. As you point out, these things are pretty expensive, and it'd be nice to know whether they're the best way to go, or whether something else like the SkidCar system or an honest-to-God skid pad are a better use of scarce training dollars.

Skip Kirkwood said:

I had a chance to drive a $250,000 simulator this week.  It was a great exercise.

What I think we found is that you get nauseous when you sit in the room and watch others drive, more than while driving yourself.

The driving, and the tests (left-right decisions, etc.) were excellent.  I hope that there is some research out there to validate the concept.  One of our guys is a Sergeant First Class medic in the Army, tells me that the Army is using realistic simulators for everything from HMMWVs to MRAPS, to M1 tanks, with great success.

Where is everyone on this topic?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Follow JEMS